Tuai ewu' aku' means 'Come follow me' in the language of the indigenous Penan peoples of Sarawak, Borneo. This blog is an invitation to you to follow me on my big adventure to learn about this tribe and experience the natural beauty of Borneo. Tuai ewu' aku' ! x

Monday, August 23, 2010

Landed in Miri

Hi all,

I'm writing this post from 'The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf" coffee shop in Miri to let you know that I arrived safe and well and that yes, Miri does have internet access (albeit slow).  I had a miserable night trying to sleep on the plane but was luckily seated next to a very interesting woman who had spent the last fifteen years flying between Borneo and Australia, teaching Medical Education.  I'm now settled into a hostel and have spent the whole afternoon trying to find leech socks and 'Adidas Kampung' shoes for my trek, to no avail.

Everyone here has been very nice to me and yes, I do stick out like a sore thumb.  People have been especially nice when I've tried to speak Bahasa Melayu although almost everyone seems to speak very competent English (thank goodness;))  So far, I've used 'Selamat Pagi' which means 'Good morning' and 'Terima Kasih'(thankyou) and 'Maaf, saya cari Adidas Kampung?' (Excuse me, do you have Adidas Kampung?).  As far as I know, people seem to be understanding me!

Well, I promise more exciting posts shall follow once I've done something other than walked around shopping malls.  Already missing friends and family. :)  Angela x

1 comment:

  1. So glad to know you have arrived safe and well in Borneo. I'm looking forward to a few photos on the blog soon.

    Wow, I am so impressed you are attempting to speak Bahasa! It puts me to shame that I didn't attempt it any of the times I visited Malaysia.

    Hope to see more blog updates soon, I'll be checking often!

    Love, H xo

    ReplyDelete