Tuai ewu' aku' means 'Come follow me' in the language of the indigenous Penan peoples of Sarawak, Borneo. This blog is an invitation to you to follow me on my big adventure to learn about this tribe and experience the natural beauty of Borneo. Tuai ewu' aku' ! x

Monday, September 6, 2010

Borneo Trek Day 3 - Because I have no choice, I go on....

Friday 27 August

After a breakfast of frogs and vegetables with rice served on sewn-together palm fronds, we commenced the hardest day of trekking I have ever done!  We were heading over a (small) mountain to Long Kerong village.
Breakfast

The walk was beautiful, but for me it was very very tough... The landscape and environment changed alot.  Sometimes it was quite temperate, with tall trees giving cool shade and solid ground. At other times the jungle was hot and humid, with muddy ground and sap oozing from the trees around.  The climb upward was very steep at times and I had to rely on the two amazing porters to help me up and carry my bag.  There were also some narrow bridges to navigate and very steep descents.  There is no way I could have managed without the help of the porters, Allan and Hagai.

The others at the base of a steep slope (which I was about to descend!)

Allan and Hagai helping me navigate slippery rocks.  Hagai is carrying both my backpack and his.
A little stream running through jungle
We had a rest to admire this view




Leeches!! I was lucky not to get any in my shoes, but I caught one that had slipped between the buttons of my shirt. One of the others had one in an even more personal spot....They were very brazen, those leeches..









J balances on a narrow bridge

Tall J is dwarfed by the size of the trees around


















The trek was incredibly humbling because we were in complete reliance on our guide.  Many times, I walked off the path because the trail through the forest was so hard (for me) to see.  Each time, the porters set me back on the path.

At the end of a grueling day, we arrived at the village of Long Sait, where we stayed the night.  We bathed in the nearby stream.  I honestly have never seen so many stars in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment