Tuai ewu' aku' means 'Come follow me' in the language of the indigenous Penan peoples of Sarawak, Borneo. This blog is an invitation to you to follow me on my big adventure to learn about this tribe and experience the natural beauty of Borneo. Tuai ewu' aku' ! x

Friday, September 10, 2010

The food here is an adventure in itself

A few people were shocked that I'd eaten frogs, so I thought I'd put up some pics of other interesting foods that I've tried while I've been in Malaysia.

So far, I've learned three things;
1) the food here is tasty and very cheap, unless you eat in a hotel aimed at Westerners, then its more expensive than in Australia,
2) there is no real distinction between breakfast foods, lunch foods and dinner foods - people eat the same things all day long.
3) alot of foods here are completely unrecognisable - but you might be rewarded if you give them a try.

Green Mystery Drink

I thought I was ordering a banana crepe, but the lady gave me a plastic bag with a green liquid and pink and green floaty things in it!  Further inspection revealed that it was a sweet milky fruit drink and the pink floaty things were banana pieces.  I never did work out what the green things were - but you know I ate them anyway! :)

Sitting by the waterfront at Kota Kinabalu with my green 'mystery' drink.  
Lunch in Batu Puti village


This is the lunch that I was served when at a Community Ecovillage.  The spike fruit on the left is Rambutan.  Also egg, fish and sago root.  All served with rice.
The closest thing I've found to a Western omelette - Roti Telour (Egg Roti)

I've met Western tourists here who are just desperate for a Western breakfast, because in Malaysia the locals seem to eat the same sort of things for all meals - rice with curries, meat, vegies etc.  You just can't find omelettes or a western continental breakfast.  I don't mind that myself, but usually recommend that they go to an Indian cafe and order a Roti.  They cost around 2 Ringett (less than $1AUD)

Roti Telour with Tea.  Unless you say 'No susu', they'll always put condensed milk in your tea.

Chinese 'Kedai Kopi' (Coffee Shop) lunch
As a vegetarian, I have to be quite careful when I eat at a Kedai Kopi, because many of the vegetables are stuffed with meat, and you often can't tell until you've taken a bite.

Greens, Tofu and bread.  



Afternoon tea


Another tea with Chinese Sesame puffs stuffed with red bean

Market Snack
Yes, I know this looks far from appetising but its actually quite tasty!  Its a sort of pancake bread filled with a peanut paste.  Its served hot and wrapped in newspaper.  The market girl didn't stop beaming when I bought this from her.:)


4 comments:

  1. i wanna see the frogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool drink by the water... Looks like a tough spot to be in. Love the food shots. Looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i sussed out how not to get the condensed milk you ask for teh-o instead of teh

    ReplyDelete