Tuai ewu' aku' means 'Come follow me' in the language of the indigenous Penan peoples of Sarawak, Borneo. This blog is an invitation to you to follow me on my big adventure to learn about this tribe and experience the natural beauty of Borneo. Tuai ewu' aku' ! x

Friday, September 17, 2010

Off to Batu Bulok

All is hustle bustle at Highlands hostel today!  A student group from Brisbane has arrived and they will be travelling into a Penan village to work on a kindergarten community garden project.  They fundraised back home and were able to raise quite a bit for materials and plants for the garden.

The best part for me is - I'll be going with them!  6 nights in the Penan village of Batu Bulok.  Tomorrow we start early at 6am and set off for a 5 hour boat ride, then a 1.5hr 4 wheel drive ride.  We will be bathing in the river, sleeping in the longhouses on mats and eating the village meals of rice, sago, noodles and tapioca.  Yum!  I especially like the cooked tapioca leaves.:)

As usual, I'll be taking lots of pics so that you can all see the villages, the people, the garden and of course, me in my jungle hiking attire. :) Tonight, dinner with our new friends from the Brisbane high school...and an early night!

Ang x

2 comments:

  1. Still checking in, hoping to see a new post indicating you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wherever "back" may be. Back in civilisation, I suppose, somewhere I can contact you. :)

    ReplyDelete